In this packet you will find drills for improving your volleyball fitness. It is our hope
that each of you will spend this summer to improve and increase your
endurance, strength, quickness; as well as continue to work to improve
fundamentals and skills of the game. By doing these conditioning activities each week
and working with a volleyball, you will improve your volleyball skills and overall
conditioning which could increase your chances of being selected for the 2021 team.
“Success always comes when preparation meets opportunity.” -H.H
**The exercise times and reps are suggested starting points. Your fitness level will
determine how long you do an exercise or how many reps you can complete.
Set personal goals for yourself and continually try to increase your reps and
Take the time before each workout to do dynamic stretching. These stretches
are done as you are moving across the floor. There are descriptions of each
Walking Quad Stretch:
1. Start by lifting your right leg and grabbing it with your hand and pull it to your
butt in a controlled manner.
2. Hold the stretch for a couple of seconds, release your foot and return to the
ground. Then take a step and repeat with the opposite leg.
3. Continue this alternating motion for the desired repetitions.
Forward Backward Leg Swing:
1. Start by standing with your feet shoulder width apart. You can stand on a
small step or on the ground.
2. Keeping your upper body perpendicular to the ground swing one leg
forward and backward.
3. Do not swing your leg so hard that you cannot keep your upper body from
4. Repeat for the recommended repetitions and repeat with the other side.
Walking Knee Pulls
1. Do the Drill Walking
2. Go up on the Toe, and pull the knee to your chest.
3. Put the leg back on the ground take a step and repeat of the opposite leg.
1. Do this drill by taking a large step forward then placing the elbow in the
instep of the foot on the same side.
2. Descend down after stepping forward reaching with the elbow. Use the
same side elbow as the leg that stepped. If you have the flexibility try to
touch the elbow to the inside of the foot.
3. After touching the foot come up to the start and repeat on the opposite leg.
1. Standing upright pull knee up and out as if stepping high over a hurdle.
2. After stepping “over the hurdle” with one leg, repeat with opposite leg and
continue alternating legs.
JUMP ROPE: a combination of regular, two-footed jumps; 1-footed jumps;
"running" jumps (where you are actually running in place "thru" the jump rope -
be careful that you are not skipping rope here, but actually running in place).
You can also jump rope from one place to another (end line to net) or jump
rope front and back or side to side over a line.
INTERVAL TRAINING: Interval training is an also an excellent technique for
increase anaerobic ability, while also slightly developing greater aerobic ability.
Intervals can be performed by running, on a stationary bike, or in some type of
body weight circuit.
Walk 1 min, sprint 30 seconds, repeat 5X.
Increase running time - walk 1 min, run 1 min, repeat 5X
GOING FOR THE BLOCK: Draw a line, or some other mark, on a wall equal to the
height of the net. Jump up and down quickly, with arms raised like you
attempting a block at the top of the net. Do this for a couple minutes (2-4)
keeping a fast pace. Now slow it down, by doing full jumps from a squatting
position with your backside parallel to your knees as you attempt the next jump.
PUSH UPS: 2 sets to fatigue
SQUATS WITH BODY WEIGHT: You can use an exercise ball if you have one.
Otherwise just do it stationary. Place ball behind your back and squat 2X15,
making sure your feet are far enough out so your knees don't go past your feet
AB WORK: Choose 2 (vary them) these are just suggestions
Stability ball crunches: 2X30
Roman twists with a ball: 2X25
Planks: 2X30 seconds working up to 2X1minute
INDIVIDUAL BALL CONTROL DRILLS
When practicing your volleyball skills at home, concentrate on your technique.
Practice getting your hands into the right position while setting, swinging your
arms through while spiking and planting your feet while passing.
Warm Up Hands
• Quick sets against a wall for 45 seconds
• Take a step back, set against wall for 60 seconds
• Take a bigger step back and set against wall for 90 seconds
Lie Down and Set
• Lie on your back with your knees bent
• Set the volleyball to yourself quickly 100 times without pushing the ball high
• Slow down and set the ball a bit higher 100 more times
Pass to Self
• Plant your feet and lower your legs like you are passing in a live game
• Pass to yourself without moving your feet
• Pass to yourself by moving forward and backward
• Pass to yourself side-to-side by shuffling your feet
• Pass forward or diagonal, using the wall to return the ball
• After getting the hang of wall passing, move into pass-set-hit against the wall
(similar to peppering with a partner)
Alternate between passing and setting to yourself
• Practice approach in an open space
• Hit against a wall